If you have been thinking of swapping your morning (or afternoon) cup of coffee for a vibrant mug of matcha, but you are not quite sure what the benefits really are, then read on.
Matcha boasts many health benefits. Here are just a few...
1. Matcha is packed with antioxidants like EGCG, vitamins and chlorophyll, which helps firm and brighten skin and increase skin clarity.
2. Improves brain function and promotes calm and balanced energy. Matcha is laced with polyphenols, rich in amino acid, and with L-theanine found in high concentration, matcha tea boosts the alpha waves in your brain. These alpha waves are responsible for soothing the mind and allowing you to focus your thinking with clarity and ease. Combine that with the pinch of caffeine that comes in matcha tea and you have a combo that keeps you effortlessly alert. The best thing about the state of alert that matcha gifts you is that it's not an edgy alert but a calm clarity.
3. Lowers LDL cholesterol. Matcha sweeps away that bad cholesterol by increasing your HDL cholesterol levels. HDL cholesterol, aka "the good cholesterol" clears out your arteries.
4. Improves heart health. Keeping your heart healthy is another benefit that comes with your daily dose of matcha tea. Catechins which are one of the main antioxidants within matcha tea help reduce risk of strokes and heart attacks thanks to its anti-hypertension, anti-inflammatory, and anti-thrombogenic qualities. Catechins also have a lipid lowering effect which further cements their status as a catechin for heart health.
5. Helps weight loss. Matcha's catechins contain thermogenic properties, which is the speed in which we burn calories.
Drinking matcha can raise your speed rate not just when you are resting, but also when exercising. If you make drinking matcha part of your workout routine, you can bump up your calorie burning stats by a staggering 25%. The combination of caffeine and catechins support lipid metabolism and helps curb cravings as well.
6. Lowers blood pressure. While a single cup doesn’t have a dramatic impact on your blood pressure, studies have shown that long-term tea drinking does.
7. Defends against cancer. Matcha is full of healthy compounds, catechins, and other immune boosting and antioxidant properties, including the very important ECGC. This type of catechin has been shown in test tube studies and animal studies to help reduce tumor size and to kill off cancer cells.
8. Helps arthritis. All those polyphenols and healthy compounds are bound to have a great effect when it comes to oiling up your joints and leaving limbs as loose as can be. The antioxidants found within matcha and green tea are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and can even slow down cartilage destruction.
9. Loaded with vitamins & minerals. Chock full of vitamins and minerals, matcha is here to make sure you are sliding into the very best health. From lashings of vitamin C to magnesium, vitamin A, and all the beautiful B vitamins you need, sipping matcha tea is the boost you need. Vitamin C can help you fend off colds and flu, vitamin A can also help eliminate free radicals, vitamin F is fabulous for your teeth, and vitamin P helps bone and cartilage health stay harmonious.
10. Boosts the immune system. Studies have shown that green tea can increase the number of T cells in the body. There has been a lot of talk around T cells and immunity lately and the fact that sipping on matcha can boost your T cells and help reduce the risks of autoimmune diseases is definitely something to sing about.